Underground Water Leaks of Auckland
Underground Water Leaks are a big headache to house owners and watercare authority in Auckland. It can certainly cause problems to infrastructure and daily life if not given proper care. Auckland ranks at the top for losing water as part of underground water leaks. It is found that Auckland’s drinking water pipes are losing a minimum of 50 liters of water in a day. Considering Auckland’s this year battle against drought, water leaks are a serious problem that everyone in Auckland needs to pay attention to.
Knowing which part of Water Leaks is your responsibility.
Sometimes one might get confused to decide whose responsibility to fix the underground water leaks. Is it homeowners or Watercare? Before reaching any conclusion, property owners can refer to the image shared by Watercare to better understand the responsibility.
The red line marks the point of supply which is close to the homeowner’s pipe. This is the point where the responsibility is passed to homeowners.
If you find out any leaks in Watercare responsible part (before the red line), you can notify Watercare through a chat option available on the Watercare website. This option is available on Weekdays from 7:30 am-7:00 pm and Weekends from 08:30 am-5:00 pm. Or You can reach them through.
- Report a Leak online!
- Call (09) 442 2222 and press 1
- Free text to 3130
Signs that you have underground water leaks on your property.
These are the common signs to conclude that you have underground water leaks.
- Finding an unexpected area in your property with wet soil.
- The rapid growth of grass or vegetation in a particular area.
- The appearance of sinkholes in the yard.
- Experiencing a decrease in water pressure.
- Presence of dirt or rust in the tap water
How to check for water leaks
This is a simple leak test to detect water leaks on your property. Things to remember before and during your test begin.
- Water meters are always located outside the homeowner’s property boundary inside a wooden or concrete box.
- Choose any 2 hours where water is not consumed at all. Ideally, a time during the late-night is better.
- Make sure not even a drop of water is used during the test. Check your dishwashers and washing machines.
- During this 2-hour test never turn off the water main tap. This would help you to see any changes in the meter dial. If the meter dial changes it indicates a water leak.
- Remove the lid of the water meter box to find the water meter. Note down the meter reading at the point where no water is used. We suggest you take a picture of the meter reading.
- After noting down the reading on the water meter close the lid and wait for a minimum of two hours.
- After the preferred waiting opens the lid and takes the meter reading again.
- Make sure that you close the lid after taking the second reading.
- Compare both readings. If there is a variation it can be concluded that you have a water leak.
- Once the water leak is confirmed you might need an expert plumber in Auckland to probe further.
Finding the source of Water Leaks
Water can leak out through various undetectable spots. If not taken measures it will cost your time and money. To find the hidden underground water leaks requires advanced techniques and expertise. A specialist Auckland Plumber can easily take care of it with ease. Check out our blog “How to find the best plumber in Auckland for your plumbing repairs? “ to find the right plumber for your water leaks.
If you are looking for a specialist to help you with underground Leak Detection in Auckland, contact us right away!!!